For many of us, the return of fall means one delicious thing: the ability to indulge endlessly in everything pumpkin. It begins with the decadent (and sometimes controversial) Pumpkin Spice Latte, continues into pumpkin pies, and then spills over into cookies, breads, cupcakes, soup, donuts, and of course muffins. Whether you are Team Pumpkin or Team Pumpkin Spice (or Team What’s the Difference?? *note: everything), you can’t get through the season of orange without a little pumpkin in your life.
I am Team Pumpkin Spice all the way, meaning that I love the flavours in the pumpkin spice mix far more than I love the taste of actual pumpkin. However, these muffins were a fantastic compromise for both flavours. The adults and the children in our house loved these flavourful little guys. Give them a try!
Pumpkin Muffins with Orange Glaze
DAIRY FREE, GLUTEN FREE OPTION, NUT FREE, SCHOOL-SAFE
2 cups 100% pure pumpkin puree
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cloves
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour (or GF flour)
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
ORANGE GLAZE (optional)
½ cup icing sugar
¼ tsp finely grated orange zest
4 tsp orange juice
- Heat oven to 425F. Grease/spray mini muffin and/or standard cups. (Yields approx. 24 mini + 9 standard)
- In medium saucepan, bring pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves to a simmer until the puree thickens (about 5-10 minutes).
- Put pumpkin puree in a large bowl and mix in brown sugar and oil. Beat in the eggs.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix until combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins and bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes for mini muffins, 13 minutes for standard muffins.
- Transfer onto a wire rack to cool while you mix the glaze. Drizzle glaze over warm muffins.
- Make yourself a cup of tea and let us know what team you’re on.
For questions, comments or fantastic spam, you can find me at jill@londonmoms