You may be familiar with Pilates, but have you heard about the Barre workout? Barre studios are all the rage in the States and in the bigger Canadian cities and now you can do it here @ The Barre! At The Barre is a new Pilates, Barre and Fitness Studio in downtown London run by a one-woman powerhouse, Kristy Leblanc.
WHAT THEY OFFER
BARRE CLASSES: Barre workouts are designed for all fitness levels that focus on balance, strength, and endurance. There are three types of classes – Barre Basics, Barre, and Yogi Barre, each of them challenging and conditioning your body with the elements of ballet and the roots of Stott Pilates.
PILATES CLASSES: Stott Pilates is one of the best ways to tone and strengthen while giving you a great overall workout. At The Barre offers classes on the mat, classes on the reformer and classes with the cardio-tramp. The reformer can look intimidating to those who have never tried it (or at least it was to me!), but think of it this way – it’s an entire workout lying down and how can that be a bad thing? The workout you will get is not at all passive. With body weight and resistance, the reformer is a classic for a reason.
SEMI-PRIVATE/PRIVATE: @ The Barre offers both private and semi-private (2-3 people) sessions for those wanting an even more personalized experience. This option is perfect for anyone needing specific attention while recovering/healing from an injury, wanting to achieve personal goals, returning to fitness after a baby, or requiring a specific schedule to be met.
WHY YOU SHOULD GO
- CLASS SIZE: You cannot beat the small classes and personal attention that you get @ The Barre. For a workout that is so dependent on proper form and technique, the personalized attention that you get from Kristy is essential for the results you want. It’s relaxed, like you’re just working out with a few friends… because you are! Kristy is right there to help with modifications, adapt to your abilities, and push you just that little bit harder.
- POST NATAL CORE: Come on, moms. The core is the one area that we need and miss the most, and nothing wakes it up like a little (or a lot of) Pilates. The combination of all that stretching that your abs and mid section went through, with all of the lifting and hunching over that you do with your baby and toddler means that your entire core is likely in need of some TLC. Pilates and Barre will give your core that extra attention it needs to regain the strength you lost and rebuild those muscles to prevent injury and keep you fit for your family!
- FUN: The classes have great, upbeat music and are lots of fun! Kristy moves you through a full body workout at a pace that keeps you moving without getting bored. If someone had told me that I was going to love the Reformer, I would not have believed them, but it’s great! Throw in the cardio-tramp and you will be so surprised at how fun a workout can be.
- STUDIO: The studio is a beautifully redone building right downtown. They have FREE PARKING right outside the door. The studio offers everything that a large studio would offer, but with all of the personal attention that is unique to @ The Barre.
- THE WORKOUT: I fit a workout in almost every day, but after my first Barre class, I felt it! Move over Buns of Steel, because Barre is where it’s at! My only dance experience is the kind I would do on a Saturday night before I had kids, but this class makes you feel like an actual ballerina at the barre – grace, strength, and fluidity. There wasn’t complicated choreography, just classic moves that work your body from the shoulders to the toes.
YOUR FIRST CLASS
She says the hardest part is showing up for your first class, so Kristy is making it easy on you by giving you your first class for only $10. Pick the style of class and time of your choice and get there! Follow @ The Barre on Facebook to keep up on promos and classes.
At The Barre is located at 615 Richmond Street, unit D. Find the parking and entrance in the back off Hyman Street. For the complete schedule and more information, see HERE.