Today, I’m passing the website over to my darling oldest daughter who is a professional Fairy House Builder. If you have any children that love fairies, magical creatures, and getting creative, then building a fairy house might just be up their alley.
Hello! First I’ll start with how I got creative and into making fairy houses. It all started when my seventh birthday rolled around and my Nana and Grandpa gave me a clay fairy house, a tiny (fairy-sized) fence, metal fairy-sized watering can, bench, and tiny bird (or bug) house. When the temperature warmed up (since my birthday is in late winter), my sister, my Nana and I went to the pond to get some stones, sticks and cement chunks. Bit by bit, I worked on my fairy house when I wanted and could. I even got some fairy plants!
Fairy houses can be built out of almost anything found in nature. Here are some of my favourite things to use:
- popsicle sticks
- dandelion stems
- store-bought houses or fairy furniture
- pine cones
HOW TO BUILD
- Find a good spot in your backyard, not near a lawnmower, hidden from animals that will destroy it [mom says: give your kids a spot in your flower or vegetable garden that you don't mind being dug up over and over. Mark out their space vs. your space and don't cross the magic line. Other spaces could be found in large flower bins or pots, like the ones from Costco, or old sandboxes/water tables that they've outgrown]
- Start with a floor made of pine needles or twigs or pebbles or something that you found. You can build around it, make sure you leave space for the door. Use twigs and mud or make a leafy tent. Make it as big as you can.
- You can make a straw or grass roof.
- Make it fun for the fairies with special features. Some ideas are: a garden, a hammock, a swing set, fire pit [mom says: not a real fire pit! Fairies don't like fire and neither do moms], a pool, a bridge, and any other thing you can think of. Fairies LOVE a little bling don’t they? Shiny stones, shells, or even feathers might really do the trick to getting a curious fairies attention!!