Today is the deadline to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home if you live in a house/unit with fuel burning appliances or an attached garage. Alarms must be adjacent to any sleeping areas in your home. It is recommended that you have one on every level of your home, regardless of sleeping arrangements, for added safety. And take note – the alarms must be WORKING, so make sure you take time to test those alarms (and your fire/smoke alarms!) with each changing season.
From the London Fire Department News Release:
What is CO?
CO is known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly.
CO is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances and devices such as furnaces, gas or wood fireplaces, hot water heaters, stoves, barbeques, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators and vehicles.
Know the Symptoms of CO:
Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion and drowsiness. In severe cases, it can result in rapid loss of consciousness and death.
If your CO alarm sounds, and you or other occupants suffer from symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the home to fresh air immediately. Then call 9-1-1 from outside the building.
Prevent CO in your home:
Ensure all fuel-burning appliances in your home are inspected annually.
Check that all outside appliance vents are not blocked.
Never use a portable fuel-burning appliance inside (i.e. barbeques, portable heaters and generators).
For more information on carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide poisoning, see HERE.
WHERE TO BUY
If you’re scrambling to make this happen today, here is where carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased: