The proposed changes to the Universal Child Care Benefit are currently unrolling and now is the time to make sure that you will receive it in July if you are eligible. You may have received a letter in the mail recently or will be receiving one this week which will be seeking to confirm the names and birth dates of the children under the age of eighteen that you have living with you in your care.
IF YOU RECEIVE A LETTER: look closely to be sure that all of your children from birth to 17 years of age are listed. If the information is correct, you do not need to do anything.
If the information is incorrect, you need to respond in writing as soon as possible with the correct information.
If the information is not complete (e.g. a child is missing) you will need to apply for that child. You can do this online at www.cra-arc.gc.ca/myaccount
IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE A LETTER: you may need to apply for UCCB or update your information.
- If you currently only have children under the age of 6 and you are currently receiving UCCB monthly for all of your children, you do not need to do anything
- If you currently only have children under the age of 6 and you have never applied for UCCB or CCTB, you will need to apply for it now in order to receive the increase
- If you currently have children who are ages 6 to 15 for whom you have previously received the UCCB for, you do not need to do anything
- If you currently have children who are over the age of 14 who have never received UCCB OR CCTB, you will need to apply for it now in order to receive the enhanced benefit
- If you currently have children who are over the age of 14 who have never received UCCB, but for whom you receive CCTB, you do not need to do anything
- If your situation has changed and you now have new children over the age of 6 that are in your care or no longer in your care (e.g. through marriage, divorce or adoption) you will need to update your information with the CRA
For more information on who will need to apply and how to apply, see HERE.
WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE
In July 2015, the Universal Child Care Benefit will increase by $60/month for all children ages birth to their 18th birthday. You will receive a retroactive payment for January to June of 2015, plus the payment for July 2015.
Children 0 to 5: 6 x $60 = $360 + $160 = $520
Children 6 to 17: 6 x $60 = $360 + $60 = $420
From August 2015 forward, you will receive:
$160 per month for children from birth to their 6th birthday month.
$60 per month for children from 6 years old to their 18th birthday month.