This Monday is Victoria Day and one of the two days each year where we are allowed to set off fireworks in the city. If you are interested in staying up to see them, there is only one public show happening. You are allowed to set off your own fireworks if you follow the rules and precautions set out by the London Fire Department.
FANSHAWE OPTIMIST FIREWORKS DISPLAY
WHERE: Fanshawe Conservation Area
WHEN: Monday, May 18 at dusk
WHAT: Approximately 40 minute firework display, weather permitting
ADMISSION: $15 per car
FIREWORKS AT HOME
If you decide to have your own fireworks show at home, the City of London Fire Department recommends the following:
- Only responsible adults who are aware of the hazards and appropriate care required should handle or discharge fireworks. Never use illegal fireworks. Firecrackers are illegal.
- Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
- Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
- Keep sparklers away from children. They can cause severe burns.
- Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks.
- Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials such as buildings, trees and dry grass.
- Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a fire or safety hazard.
- Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.